Re: [manual] Acronyms and initialisms

* Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>After that I would simply mark it with the element and the title attribute:
>
> <abbr title="Extensible Markup Language">XML</abbr>

Where is the benefit to include the title attribute? Supposing linear
reception of a resource, the reader is already aware of what XML stands
for, repeating it each time increases document size and may confuse
readers if you style abbr[title] differently (to provide a hint, that
there is additional information available). Where is the benefit for
voice browsers or braille readers, supposing they always present the
expanded form of that abbreviation? In this case, we do we use
abbreviated forms at all?

I do agree that marking up abbreviations and acronyms is a good thing,
but adding a title attribute may be counterproductive, for example, how
does

     Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft'>Hapag</acronym>-Lloyd <abbr
     class='Initialism' title='Aktiengesellschaft'
     xml:lang='de'>AG</abbr>...</p>

help general or challanged users, unless they are interested in this
company's history and background? And repeating this title attribute
madness...