[manual] references to RFCs

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:08:59 +0100
To: spec-prod@w3.org
Cc: lesch@w3.org
Hi,

The Manual of Style should give advice on how to reference RFCs. It
seems, that each editor has a different preference chosing the URI for
the RFC, you can find inter alia these:

  [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt
  [2] http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt
  http://ietf.org/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt
  http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfcXXXX.txt
  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfcXXXX.txt
  http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfcXXXX.txt
  http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt

Where the first scheme is most common. It's also the one I prefer, since
the [1] archives cover more RFCs than those of [2] and [1] is simply
shorter to type, but the Manual itself uses [2] and
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html> notes:

[...]
  Be advised that there is a slight time period when the two directories
  will be out of sync. When in doubt, the RFC Editor Web Page is the
  authoritative source page.
[...]

So maybe [2] would be the right choice. However, I want consistency :-)

regards,