Re: spec-prod, xmlspec, docbook and Co.

At 11:03 AM 10/17/01 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>At 10:57 AM 17/10/01 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> >DocBook Articles vs. XMLSpec
>
>How about the psychological issues?  We have had trouble
>getting people to use XML at all for drafts; getting them
>to wrap their minds around docbook as a precondition for
>drafting specs is potentially a pretty strong disincentive.

>Having said that, there's certainly a lot of infrastructure
>in place for docbook. -Tim

Exactly.  One possibility is to base a harmonization on Simplified
DocBook[1].  So many people use DocBook today (way more than XMLspec) that
I think it's provably something that can be learned.

>And I'm sorry, CALS tables are *right out*.  Don't go there.

I agree.  (Got burned with that in XMLspec in 1996! :-)

         Eve

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/xml/simple/index.shtml