Use of pronouns in style doc

From: Ishida, Richard <Richard.Ishida@gbr.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:44:54 +0100
To: "'spec-prod@w3.org'" <spec-prod@w3.org>
Cc: "'duerst@w3.org'" <duerst@w3.org>, "'i18n-editor@w3.org'" <i18n-editor@w3.org>
Although all the points Martin makes in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2000AprJun/0058 are
indubitably true, I think it would be better to express the rule as:

"First person pronouns ('I', 'we') should not be used *in the text of
examples* because this can be hard to translate. See [PRONOUNS]."

And I think it would be better for [PRONOUNS] to point to something that
clearly includes the example Martin used in
.html (final paragraph)

Of course, in normal text the process of translation would take care of
rendering the meaning in culturally acceptable syntax, and pronouns would
not be an issue (unless you used machine translation - which I wouldn't

Richard Ishida
Globalisation Consultant,
International Document & User Interface Design
tel: +44 1707 353395 (Voicemail always available)