Re: model theory publication draft

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:15:32 -0400
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
CC: "Eve L. Maler" <eve.maler@sun.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, spec-prod@w3.org
Aaron Swartz wrote:

> >> I've always thought so. It's rather annoying to open a link in
> >> a new window and just end up with another copy of the spec.
> >> I'd much prefer that the inline links went directly to the
> >> spec in question, with a summary of the documents referred to
> >> at the bottom.
> >>
> >> Perhaps W3C style could be updated on this matter?
> > I believe this style was deliberately chosen so that normative
> > references could be summarized in one place.  In practice, it's
> > annoying to have to jump twice to get the actual referenced
> > document; this would be a good application for XLink, where you
> > have two links from the bibref: one to the official References
> > section and one to the document itself.  A pop-up could allow
> > you to pick which one you wanted...
>
> The way I envision it, they'd still be summarized at the bottom,
> but the inline links would take you directly to the referenced
> document. If you wanted to see the reference itself, you could
> just scroll to the bottom of the page in your browser, etc.

No, don't make the reader scroll; provide a link to the references
section. For instance, in the UAAG 1.0 Techniques document:

 "Section 13.3.1 of the HTML 4 specification ([HTML4]) explains ..."

is marked up:

   Section 13.3.1 of the HTML 4 specification</a> (<cite><a
href="#ref-HTML4"
   title="Link to reference HTML4">[HTML4]</a></cite>) explains ...

 - Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447