Re: Anchor semantic lost...

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: 09 Jul 2001 10:31:34 -0400
To: spec-prod@w3.org
/ Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> was heard to say:
| The spec-prod tools have a very bad side effect on anchors
| semantic. It would be great to fix it.
|
| See my report in http://www.w3.org/2001/07/QA-revxmlinfoset.html#toc
| Anchors and section.

While I appreciate the intent, translating this

  <a name="intro"/><div>
  <h2>1. Introduction </h2>

into this:

  <h2 id="intro">1. Introduction </h2>

fails because there are many browsers that don't recognize that #intro
should go to the element with ID intro; they insist on locating an A
with a NAME of intro.

And translating into this:

  <h2><a name="intro">1. Introduction </a></h2>

fails because some browsers make the text surrounded by an <A name="">
tag blue and underlined. (They shouldn't, but they do.)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | Labor, n. One of the processes by which A
XML Standards Engineer | acquires property for B.--Ambrose Bierce