Re: Publishing tool ideas for W3C editors

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:53:26 -0400
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
CC: spec-prod@w3.org
Paul Grosso wrote:
> >2) Would people with expertise in xslt volunteer to help
> >   create the xhtml->xml translation?
>
> I don't understand this--is there a typo here?  What does
> it mean to go from xhtml to xml?

transform an xhtml document to the common XML format.

> >3) Do people have specific requirements for the common format?
>
> The current xmlspec DTD does pretty well for me.

I don't think that the xmlspec DTD contains all informations
needed by the DOM spec, such interfaces, attributes, ...
The DOM spec was built on top of the xmlspec DTD (a 1998 version),
we probably (and unfortunately) diverged from that point.

> >4) How extensible should the common format be?
>
> Ah, this is always a tricky one.  Everyone wants to extend
> any common format in some way, but then it's not so common.
> And the other tools, such as xslt transforms and various
> stylesheets, don't work.

My response to the question 4 will be "no extensibility at all"
but there are probably people who would like to argue against that
that's why I asked Ian to add this question.

Philippe