Re: Suggestions/Questions

At 10:13 00/07/06 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:

>>I do this all the time in issue and comment resolution markup.  I wish to be
>>able to write one of these instead.
>>
>>   <loc href="http://www.w3.org"/>
>>   <loc>http://www.w3.org</loc>
>
>The problem is that sometimes you don't want the content to repeat the URL;
>you want it to say something in English.  Basically, loc is like A.  We
>could make the semantics be CONREF-like; I have no problem with
>that.  (That is, when the content is empty, repeat the href value as the
>content in the output.)  Comments?

Only that it may be easier to support the second form than the first.

Supporting the first form would be as you describe, and requires a check
for empty content, which is often (always?) complicated.  (I.e. I
don't know how to do it in XSLT, and the way I have done it in homebrew
systems is invariably a fairly ugly hack.)

Supporting the second seems simpler:  print the content as is, and
if href is unspecified, then use the content as its value.

Michael

* C. M. Sperberg-McQueen                           *
* Research Staff, World Wide Web Consortium        *
* Route 1, Box 380A, Espa&ntilde;ola NM 87532-9765 *
* (that's Espanola with an n-tilde)                *
* cmsmcq@acm.org, fax: +1 (505) 747-1424           *