Re: Suggestions/Questions

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 09:47:43 +0900
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>, "'spec-prod@w3.org'" <spec-prod@w3.org>
At 00/07/01 09:21 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:
>At 15:36 2000 06 30 -0700, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
> >Also, one thing that consistently bugs me is the required href attribute on
> >loc.  It drives me nuts to keep the following kind of thing in sync:
> >
> >  <loc href="http://www.w3.org">http://www.w3.org</loc>
> >
> >I do this all the time in issue and comment resolution markup.  I wish to be
> >able to write one of these instead.
> >
> >  <loc href="http://www.w3.org"/>
> >  <loc>http://www.w3.org</loc>
>
>What prevents you from writing the former?  It's content is #PCDATA
>which can be empty.

What's missing is the convention to expand this appropriately.
Of course such a convention can be added if we think that empty
content isn't used otherwise. But it then has to be added to
all the stylesheets/transformations that work with it.

>(You seem to be getting close to asking for something that smells
>a lot like SGML's CONREF!  I have to say I liked that too, but it
>was decided to leave that out of XML.)

It's a very useful thing, but not something that needs special
treatment.

Regards,    Martin.