Writing I-Ds and RFCs using XML

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:48:41 -0400
To: mrose@not.invisible.net
Cc: spec-prod@w3.org

As a Co-Chair of a joint IETF/W3C WG, I was thinking that it would be quite
nice if the W3C and IETF agreed on a common specification schema/DTD. (This
could make my life easier when I find a WYSIWYG XML/CSS editor I'm happy
with for editing specs! <smile>)

Marshall, the efforts at the W3C [1] to date have been informal within the
XML activity and on the spec-prod list [2]. However, the folks involved have
come up with quite a nice DTD [3]. What is the status of usage/deployment of
your Informational RFC on a schema/DTD for RFCs and have you seen [4]? Any
interest in harmonizing/subsetting/profiling? And then there's always the
XSLT option...

[1] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SGML/spec-mgmt.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/
[3] http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report-19980910.htm