Re: an XHTML dialect for specs?

From: Eve L. Maler <elm@east.sun.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:56:24 -0500
To: spec-prod@w3.org
At 12:50 PM 12/13/99 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>At 02:38 PM 12/13/99 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> >The idea is to use on XHTML dialect for editing *and* delivery.
>Hmm, the current XML dialect has all sorts of semantic markup for
>stuff like BNF and conformance constraints and so on.  Switching to
>XHTML for HTML-like stuff (ordered lists, paragraphs) seems obvious;
>but I'm not sure how you avoid that batch processing step if you want
>to use fancy div/span or table machinery to make BNF look good and
>so on.  -Tim

FWIW, the XMLspec documentation discusses some of the issues surrounding
making XMLspec a relative of HTML:

I'm kind of interested in the idea of "augmenting" the content of an
XMLspec document with generated material, but worry about people editing it
by hand when in a hurry.  (I've seen it happen in many a production

Also, over time, XMLspec has gotten more specific/semantic, not less, and
all these constructs are miles away from HTML.  I'm not sure that much is
gained by connecting them artificially, especially if we can commit
(finally :-) to making a good, official XSLT stylesheet that transforms
into HTML.  I believe this is what Ben Trafford has been working on.

Eve Maler            Sun Microsystems
elm @ east.sun.com    +1 781 442 3190