Re: Question about copyright protection in XML source/outputs

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 12:14:03 -0600
To: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com>
CC: spec-prod@w3.org
I haven't thought it all through, but here's one
thing I know: *DON'T* omit the copyright statement
from the source, assuming it'll get put in by the

Also: *DON'T* treat the copyright stuff as a boilerplate
issue. THINK HARD about it, every time you share
a copy with anybody, if not every time you hit the
save button.

See also: the W3C IPR notice
and the related FAQ

"Eve L. Maler" wrote:
> Paul Grosso sent me an XMLspec comment in private correspondence this week,
> and it started what we thought was an interesting discussion.
> The issue was whether a copyright element should be added to the DTD, so
> that a copyright statement could be supplied in fairly "cooked" form so
> that it would appear in the various outputs.  I suggested that a stylesheet
> might be able to output the copyright statement, if it were pretty much
> boilerplate.

Dan Connolly, W3C