Re: producing the draft of XML Datatype spec

At 10:18 AM 4/1/99 -0800, Biron,Paul V wrote:
>So far I've only found one minor thing that I'd change and a few small pet
>peeves.  As to the pet peeves, I think the content model of things like list
>items should be mixed and the DTD requires paragraph-type block structures,
>i.e., the DTD requires
>
>	<ulist>
>	</ulist>
>
>whereas I'd rather do
>
>	<ulist>
>		<item>this is an item</item>
>	</ulist>
>
>Its not really a big deal, but it is a personal pet peeve (see below).

Things like this are design tradeoffs that have a very good motivation.
In a lot of cases, the list items are only used to contain a single
logical paragraph, as Paul has shown in his example. And, as Paul says,
for those cases it seems preferable to be able to avoid having to use
an extra layer of paragraph markup. However, some list items might
contain more than one logical paragraph, or even a subordinate list.
In that case, the need for extra layers of paragraph or paragraph-like
markup is absolutely essential. Unfortunately, this means that the
simple case is harder than it might otherwise be, but the more complex
case is possible.

Murray Maloney, Esq.          Phone: (905) 509-9120
Muzmo Communication Inc.      Fax:   (905) 509-8637
671 Cowan Circle              Email: murray@muzmo.com
Pickering, Ontario 		Web:   http://www.muzmo.com
Canada, L1W 3K6