Re: The scope of this list

Roger Price wrote:

> The many standards development organisations (SDO's) each have their
> own ways of physically producing standards.  Some have chosen to go
> with word processors, others leave it to the ingenuity of the editors
> to produce camera-ready copy.
>
> Occasionally SDOs share text e.g. ECMA and ISO/IEC, and sometimes they
> even share style e.g. ISO/IEC/ITU.  From an editor's point of view, it
> would be ideal to have some common ground: some way of interchanging
> text while respecting each house style.  Such common ground could also
> be the starting point for a common approach by editors.

Amen. That is exactly the purpose of this list: to explore
the possibility of sharing the text of specs and the
mechanisms for producing and managing that text.

I hope to take a "Think Globally, Act Locally" approach; i.e.
we are particularly concerned about making the job of producing
W3C specs easier, but in that the problems related to W3C
specs are also relevant to specs of other SDOs, and moreover,
since some of the individuals here have to write specs for
multiple SDOs, we should favor solutions that are applicable
outside of W3C as well.

> Could (or should) the DTD used for XML be considered as a candidate?

Yes, I think so.

> Is it even in the scope of this list to consider the exchange of text
> between SDO's?

Ultimately, the scope of this list is determined by the participants.
I hope you feel this is just as much "Roger Price's spec-prod
mailing list" as it is "Dan Connolly's spec-prod mailing list."
(In fact, if you want to manage the administrivia such as
bounced messages and such, you're more than welcome!)

But yes, my purpose in creating it was to consider the

--
Dan Connolly
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/