Re: SMIL V1.0 Specification

Mike,

thanks for pointing ths out.

I guess the sentence should read correctly:

"The attribute has the value "on" if the user has indicated a desire to see
closed-captioning information, and it has the value "off" if the user has
indicated that they wish to see such information."

However - as other people have pointed out to me - this doesn't
really make sense, since it implies that the
value of the attribute changes depending on what the user does
with the closed-caption configuration in the player.

In the SMIL errata,
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/SMIL/errata

I will thus propose the following formulation (if you agree):

"For an element E, authors should set this attribute to the value
"on" if they want E to be displayed when the user has indicated
a desire to see close-captioning information. Typically, element E will
contain the closed-captioning information itself, but it may also
be an element that displays auxiliary information (e.g. the
text "closed caption switched on").

Authors should set this attribute to the value "off" if they
want element E to be displayed when user has have switched off
closed-captioning."