Re: relationship of SMIL to HyTime?

At 4:20 PM +0200 4/16/98, Philipp Hoschka wrote:
>Frank,
>
>thanks for your comments.
>
>The main difference is that HyTime is far more complex than SMIL, and
>thus is unlikely to gain the wide acceptance in industry that SMIL was
>designed for, see e.g
>
>ttp://www.real.com/corporate/pressroom/pr/smil.html
>
>Also, see the following messages for a more detailed discussion of
>SMIL vs. HyTime.
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-multimedia/1997OctDec/0038.html
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-multimedia/1997OctDec/0039.html
>
>In addition, two HyTime Experts (Lloyd Rutledge and Jacco van Ossenbruggen)
>were involved in the development of SMIL. Feel free to contact them,
>should you have further questions (for e-mail addresses, see the
>two messages above).
>
>The relation between the SYMM work and other existing work has been
>explained in the briefing package that formed the basis of this work:
>
>http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/Synch-brief.html
>
>-Philipp Hoschka, W3c

Philipp--

Thanks for your prompt response.  Your description of the situation, i.e.,
that there was detailed consideration of HyTime, and it was felt to be too
complicated for the application, was roughly what I expected (and hoped)
the answer would be.  However, I still think there should be some explicit
reflection of this in the specifications.  A short paragraph in an
Introduction (or even in an Appendix), possibly pointing to the briefing
package or other relevant material if necessary, would take care of it;
nothing major is required.  I just think that the specification should
*itself* raise (and deal with) the issue, since not all readers of the
specification (like me!) will have the background in hand, and think to
search for the briefing package, and it might forstall a lot of
communications like these!

--Frank

Frank Manola                            www:    http://www.objs.com
Object Services and Consulting, Inc.    email:  fmanola@objs.com
151 Tremont Street #22R                 voice:  617 426 9287
Boston, MA  02111