cmments Al Gilman

------- Forwarded Message

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Subject: SMIL editorial comments
To: Philipp.Hoschka@sophia.inria.fr (Philipp Hoschka)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:37:07 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: asgilman@access5.digex.net (Al Gilman)

None of these affect the function of the format, so far as I can tell.

Al
in
  5.3 Layout Elements

where it says
   SMIL basic layout only controls the layout of a subset of all SMIL
   elements referred to as positionalbe elements. The following SMIL
   elements are positionalbe in SMIL basic layout: ref, animation, img,
   video, text and textstream. It is illegal to use the region element
   for elements that are not positionable.

it should say
   positionalbe --> positionable

in
    6.2.1 The par Element

where it says
   The children of a par element can have arbitrary temporal ordering.

it could say
   The children of a par element can overlap in time.  The textual
   order of appearance of children in a par has no significance for
   the timing of their presentation.

because
   "can have arbitrary temporal ordering" suggests that the children
   satisfy some linear ordering in time sequence and that the freedom
   is limited to permutations on this time order.  _Au contraire_
   the children are neither in a known order nor necessarily in
   order at all.

In
  6.2 Synchronization Elements

    6.2.1 The par Element
[...]
   Attribute Values

where it says
   element-event value
          An element event value specifies a particular event in a
          synchronization element.
          An element event has the following syntax:

Event-spec        ::= Element-event | Offset
Element-event     ::= "id(" Event-source ")(" Event ")"
Event-source      ::= Id-value
Event             ::= Clock-val | "begin" |  "end"
Delay             ::= Clock-val
Offset            ::= Clock-val

I don't see where "Delay" is used.  Could that production be elided?

Did it used to read

Event             ::= Delay | "begin" |  "end"

??

In
  6.2.3 Media Object Elements: The ref, animation, audio,img, video,text and
  textstream elements

Where it says
   When playing back a media object, the player must not derive the type
   of the media object from the name of the media object element.
   Instead, it must rely solely on other sources about the type, such as
   type information contained in the "type" attribute, or the type
   information communicated by the server.
                               ^^^

It could better say "a server" so there is no connotation that there
is always a comm path or server associated with dereferencing a URI.

In
  6.2.3 Media Object Elements: The ref, animation, audio,img, video,text and
  textstream elements

Where it says
   This default behavior can be changed by using the "fill" attribute. If
   the value is "freeze", the element is retained on the screen until the
   sequentially next element is started; if the value is "remove", the
   element is removed from the screen immediately at the end time.

It could better say
   This default behavior can be changed by using the "fill" attribute. If
   the value is "freeze", the last state of the element is retained on the
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   screen until the
   sequentially next element is started; if the value is "remove", the
   element is removed from the screen immediately at the end time.

Because this better captures what happens e.g. with video.  Freezing audio
... I don't know if there is a common method.

In
  6.5 Hyperlinking Elements

[...]
   Linking to SMIL Fragments

Where it says
   The following special cases can occur:
    1. The element addressed by the link has a "repeat" attribute.
         1. If the value of the "repeat" attribute is n, all n
            repetitions of the element are played.
         2. If the value of the "repeat" attribute is 0, playback ends
            according to the rules defined for repeat value 0.
    2. The element addressed by the link is contained within another
       element that contains a "repeat" attribute.
         1. If the value of the "repeat" attribute is n, playback starts
            at the beginning of the element addressed by the link,
            followed by n-1 repetitions of the element containing the
            "repeat" attribute.
         2. If the value of the "repeat" attribute is 0, playback starts
            at the beginning of the element addressed by the link.

I am not sure that zero is a special case anymore.  I am just reading
this quickly, but my impression is that with the introduction of the
"indefinite" abstract value that any special-casing for zero goes away.
You may wish to check.

------- End of Forwarded Message