Re: Nasty DRM

> On 28 Mar 2018, at 22:47 , Kromka Chleba <grzybowawspulnota@cock.li> wrote:
>
> I think adding DRM as a W3C standard is a bad idea, because it hurts open and free(as in freedom) web - DRM is nothing more than tool to control who can access an information. DRM gives the website owner the power to chose what user can see, and who can see it. But what are the criteria for excluding users? It could just be used to make sure, that only user who paid for something can see it, but also it could be used to exclude people with different sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, race, nationality and much more. Giving that power to developers should NEVER happen, and you should be ashamed of it! The web wasn't created for dividing and excluding people, but for connecting them. If you care about net neutrality and users' freedom, remove DRM.
>

> The Internet user

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion.

We share a different one, obviously, that stems from the requirement from movie companies that stipulate that video must be encrypted if it is to be legally available online, and from the need to replace historical plug-ins with a mechanism that enables interoperability, better privacy, security, accessibility and user experience in viewing movies on the Web.

You may read more in <https://www.w3.org/2017/07/EME-backgrounder.html>.

With kind regards,
Coralie Mercier, Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/