From: Stian Soiland-Reyes<mailto:soiland-reyes@manchester.ac.uk>
Sent: 17 October 2017 13:19
To: site-comments@w3.org<mailto:site-comments@w3.org>
Subject: Stale 404 cache on lists.w3.org

Hi,

I did the mistake of trying to link to (my own email from https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-scholarlyhtml/2017Oct/ by guessing the URL before it was listed, but now

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-scholarlyhtml/2017Oct/0002.html returns wrongly “404 Not Found” and with cache headers

Etag: "72vu9g:1b6ra1nf8"
Expires: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:11:29 GMT
Last-Modified: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 12:08:34 GMT

Does this mean my email message (which was available from 11:11:51 GMT)  will be 404 for 12 months?

Testing with curl from a different machine on a different network gives same 404, http vs https the same.

Minting a slightly different URI like https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-scholarlyhtml/2017Oct/0002 or https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-scholarlyhtml/2017Oct/0002.html?foo however works, which gives:

< Etag: "1h3ak6r:1bsl0g2lo"
< Expires: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:12:28 GMT
< Last-Modified: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 11:11:51 GMT
< Server: Jigsaw/2.3.0-beta3

But of course these URIs are not in the mailbox index. How can I expire the cached resource on the server side?

Even a Force-Refresh in Chrome or with curl -H "Cache-Control: no-cache" does not work, which seems to me to be a violation of https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7234#section-4.2.4

This also seems to me to imply that someone with evil intent and a little for-loop could falsely 404 all future emails on w3c mailing lists... but I guess the cache would be expelled earlier by reboots or so.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester