Re: starting a community group

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 11:17 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Just some comments on the usability of the 'create community group' process.
>
> It's both easy to create the proposal in the first place, and hard to make changes.
>
> Perhaps put the proposal in a wiki? then you don't need GitHub and markdown.
> you don't get an issue list, but you get 'talk' pages.

Our expectation for the initial proposal was that it would be a couple of paragraphs
at most, and probably with little to no markup. The UI for proposing a group is
therefore just a textbox.

Once a group has been created, we create a blog (Wordpress) and wiki (MediaWiki)
for it. So you can flesh out charters, etc. using different tools. You can also use
external tools (e.g., GitHub).

> it says 5 people, do they have to be from different organizations?

No.

> How do you know how many people have signed up?

By “signed up” do you mean “have supported the proposal”? On the home page (and in list of proposed groups)
there are indications of the number of supporters.

If you mean “have joined the group once launched” that information is on the participants page for the group.

> could we add supporters to the watch list for the wiki pages until there's an accepted charter?
>
> Does W3C make a mailing list?

Yes (several).

> What happens after 5 have supported the CG is opaque.

We have two FAQ questions that provide some information about proposing a group:
 https://www.w3.org/community/about/faq/#how-do-we-get-started-in-a-new-group

And getting started:
 https://www.w3.org/community/about/good-practice-for-running-a-group/

We also have this page on tools and infrastructure available to the group:
 https://www.w3.org/community/about/tool/

Ian

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447