Re: Some Community Groups Issues

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2014, at 11:03 AM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
>>> Finally, I recently was updating my profile and added an affiliation.
>>> When I added the affiliation, I did not realize that it would remove
>>> my group memberships or have any legal effect because the interface to
>>> enact that change did not mention these side effects. I've since
>>> reverted my affiliation because it is not an IP-relevant fact and I am
>>> not an official representative of my university in any capacity. I'd
>>> like to recommend that the side effects of affiliation change be made
>>> clear in the user interface for changing that data.
>>
>> Good idea; will do. Thanks again!
>

> Hi David,
>
> I checked the form for changing one's affiliation and it says:
>
>  "Changing <name> affiliation would terminate by default his/her participation in the following groups, until (s)he re-applies or gets nominated under the new affiliation."

I've looked again at
<https://www.w3.org/users/{userid}/edit/affiliations> and it says "By
selecting an affiliation other than "None", you will be removed from
the following groups:". Either this wasn't there before or (more
likely) I was clicking through too fast to notice it.

> We are certainly trying to provide the sort of warning that you are looking for. I have no problem changing the text to make it clearer. Would this be an improvement?

Maybe 32pt blinking red? :-P

>  "Account affiliation plays an important role within W3C because of the patent policies that govern participation. When you change your affiliation, you will be removed from the following groups. Continued participation after a change depends on the nature of your new affiliation. For example, if you work for a Member organization, your Advisory Committee Representative will need to nominate you."
>
> Any other suggestions?

I think it's probably fine as is and I was just in a hurry and not
reading carefully enough.

Thanks for your attention,

David