Re: Your W3C page link to a virus

Hi, Oliver–

On 5/15/14 7:50 PM, Ian Jacobs wrote:

> On May 15, 2014, at 5:13 PM, Oliver Albrecht <oalb@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in this page http://www.w3.org/2009/08/svg-logos.html the link to
>> the UK artist Harvey Rayner is a trojan-virus!?!
>
> Can you say why?

Do you mean that Harvey's page [1] contains some security violation? I
did a quick scan, and it doesn't seem to be insecure [2].

Or are you asking if W3C's page was hacked and the link to Harvey's page
inserted? If this is your question, then the answer is no, we
deliberately linked to Harvey's page, since he was the artist who
designed the logo.

FYI, I was the person who ran the SVG logo contest, and was on the
judging committee. I spoke several times to Harvey, and appreciated that
he made his clever logo customizer for the SVG logo.

>> Another question, why is the SVG logo different to this one on
>> Wikipedia? https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SVG_logo.svg

Because whoever created and uploaded the version on Wikipedia
(Afrank99), didn't use the official logo. I don't know why Afrank99
didn't use W3C's version, but I assume they thought their version looked
nicer.

But I don't actually think the logos are that different. The substantive
aspects (the flower shape, the colors, the text badge and most of the
font metrics, are all the same; the Wikipedia version adds some
stylistic flourishes, which looks nice, but isn't always suitable for
every use, which is why W3C offers the most basic, generic version,
which designers can embellish to suit their needs.

> [Adding Doug Schepers who may be able to help.]
>
> Ian
>
>> I'm from Wikimedia Commons and I would like to upload this logo
>> there.

Are you asking if you can replace the Wikipedia version of the logo with
the official W3C version? You can do so, but I don't think it's necessary.

Or are you asking us to adopt the Wikipedia version of the logo and make
it available from W3C's site?

[1] http://www.root2art.co.uk/svg_logo_download/index.php
[2]
http://scanurl.net/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.root2art.co.uk%2Fsvg_logo_download%2Findex.php&uesb=Check+This+URL#results