Re: Is sharing .mbox files of a public mailng list allowed?

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 21:11 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> > I've long noticed that the .mbox files of a public mailing list
> (linked
> > from any arhive under the title "Mailbox format") are Member-only. I
> > believe it is some kind of mistake, but I still want to get nod from
> the
> > W3C Team before I share those files, which are useful for a newcomer
> of
> > a list.

> My understanding is that the mbox source files are not public for a
> reason. I have
> added Ted Guild if you have further questions.

This was the whole point of the NDA hoop we went through...  you have
your nod to analyze what you can from our archives with the permissions
we gave your account.

We deliberately do not make full, raw emails available publicly as they
contain more and arguably personal/sensitive data not exposed in the
html archives. The html archives only give a pertinent subset of header
data.

We make the mboxes available to Members, "Invited Experts" participating
in our Working Groups and those like yourselves we deem trustworthy.
They are extremely convenient when catching up on a mailing list to be
able to import portions into a mail client, respond with References and
In-Reply-To, have history and threading for threads that might have
started before joining a group.  There is also quite a few deductions
that can be made which is what we're interested in your assistance with.

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Systems Team