Thanks & Background

From: Duce Clark <ducemailbox@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:44:33 +0000
To: site-comments@w3.org
Hello to the W3C folks,

Let me first say that I am deeply grateful for all the hard work that the contributes have put into W3C. The content and tutes are second to none, and the writers are clearly real professionals. I floundered about on W3Schools for a few weeks before coming to W3C, so I do have some well known reasons for my opinion.

I only have one beef about W3C right now. The white background is tough on the eyes after a few hours. There are clarity reasons for this color scheme and I agree that contrast is important with text, but straight white is harsh over long periods of time. As of now I back my monitors brightness settings down specifically for W3C.

Its my opinion that a muted color for background and black text is the best for avoiding eye strain (which is bad for any design IMHO). For a site that requires large amounts of reading (such as W3C) this becomes an issue far more quickly. These reasons aside, its also worth saying that simply because W3C has tute/textbook type content doesn't mean that it has to be quite so institutional in appearance.

Just my two cents, take it with a grain and let me know if there is a reasoning beyond what I am aware of.

Thanks,

Bruce