Validator.w3.org and Enhancements

From: Ken Culp <kculp@nmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:52:53 +0000
To: <site-comments@w3.org>
Please forward to the correct party…
Allow me to introduce myself. I am part of the Computer Science faculty at Northern Michigan University and currently I am teaching classes HTML/CSS/JavaScript. I have students use your Validator on their homework before uploading it to my server.
First, thanks for the Validator; it continues to improve and is a great asset for students. I have even incorporated the validator into an online exam system such that when I check a student’s HTML submitted for a quiz or homework, I validate their work with a single button click.
The reason for my email is that you may be interesting in incorporating my syntax highlighter DLL that takes a source file in HTML with or without imbedded CSS or JavaScript and highlights the code. The highlighting is done by bracketing various parts of the syntax with <span> elements that reference a CSS class. You can see the program in operation by going to the following site:
Using this DLL (for which there would be no charge), you could highlight the input source when a source listing is requested. Even better would be to merge the capabilities of the highlighter with your validation/syntax checking. In this way, validated source would be highlighted along with any errors. This would make the validator like compilers for other languages.
If you are interested,  I can make the source to the highlighter available to you. All I would ask in return is for you to help me add the syntax checking software to the highlighter on my site.
Ken Culp