Re: Assistive Technology

From: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:22:37 -0600
To: "Doreste, Rachel" <r.doreste@unf.edu>
CC: "'site-comments@w3.org'" <site-comments@w3.org>, "'wai@w3.org'" <wai@w3.org>
  Hi Rachel,

W3C's accessibility guidelines cover the needs of users with a wide range of abilities, using a wide range of assistive technologies and adaptive strategies -- including strategies that do not include common assistive technologies. Many of these are described in "How People with Disabilities Use the Web" beginning at http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/people-use-web/Overview.html

The W3C Markup Validation Service <http://validator.w3.org/> checks markup; it does not specifically check for accessibility barriers. Information on evaluating for accessibility is available from http://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/Overview.html

The accessibility standard for web pages is introduced in "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Overview" at http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag.php

Regards,
~Shawn

-----