Slow DTD delivery

From: Olle Olsson <olleo@sics.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:04:15 +0100
To: site-comments@w3.org

When fetching contents from w3.org, the latency experienced is not
really any problem.

Except when trying to fetch some HTML DTD. This is really slow, and
sometimes the time-out limit in a browser can be surpassed, which means
that the browser regards the server site as not responding.

To better understand these symptoms: ...

  - is there a special w3 server dedicated to common DTDs, and this
server has recently become overloaded?
  - is it a load-balancing issue?
  - or is it the effect of some platform resource usage policy?

It is interesting that DTD should not be any serious bottleneck. They
have a fairly long valid duration -- e.g. for html4/loose.dtd   a header
says "Expires: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:21:41 GMT".

The trigger for this question was when a user called the Swedish Office
to ask about "why Internet Explorer could not deliver a page (from
somewhere.com) because the loose.dtd could not be found". I did look
around, and that was when I became aware of the dtd delivery delays.

Olle Olsson   olleo@sics.se   Tel: +46 8 633 15 19  Fax: +46 8 751 72 30
         [Svenska W3C-kontoret: olleo@w3.org]
SICS [Swedish Institute of Computer Science]
Box 1263
SE - 164 29 Kista