Re: w3.org sudden, excessive slowness causing upstream issues

From: Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:13:01 -0400
To: Chris Griego <cgriego@gmail.com>
Cc: site-comments@w3.org
On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 15:33 -0500, Chris Griego wrote:
> As already mentioned, but not acknowledged, in the following threads

I followed up with Luigi separately as I was contacted directly through
another channel.  Apologies for not posting in site-comments' archive as
well.

All the applications making excessive requests for DTD and other
schemata from us is a big problem.  We've seen in excess of 1/2 billion
per day and have needed to take a number of defensive measures including
utilizing a tarpit.

These applications do not need to repeatedly retrieve a resource we give
caching directives indicating they will not change for the at least the
next three months.  We recommend using a catalog or a cache.

More background and some comments including solutions for some specific
platforms are available in the following article:

http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic/

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Systems Team