W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > site-comments@w3.org > October 2010

Re: DTD downloads breaking on anything

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:53:19 +0100
To: Steve Niemitz <sniemitz@capitaliq.com>
Message-Id: <463A1962-D1DD-457D-B919-9755C3B09348@w3.org>
Cc: "site-comments@w3.org" <site-comments@w3.org>

On 30 Oct 2010, at 5:44 PM, Steve Niemitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A few hours ago I noticed that any request for DTDs to your site  
> (for example: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-special.ent)  
> began to break on any request with MSIE in the useragent.
>
> For example:
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/ 
> 4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
>
> Will return a 403 but:
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/ 
> 4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
> (I just removed the I from MSIE) works fine.
>
> This also happens to break any request made from the .NET framework  
> as it uses a useragent with MSIE in it.  I dont really know who to  
> direct this to but I imagine its a pretty large issue.

Steve,

Our site was suffering from some heavy traffic and I suspect that our  
systems team adjusted a configuration to stop the attack. I will let  
them know what you found. Apologies for the inconvenience,

  _ Ian

>
> Thanks.
> Steve
>

--
Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)    http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                                      +1 718 260 9447
Received on Sunday, 31 October 2010 15:53:26 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 24 October 2012 16:21:33 GMT