URL limitations

From: Graham Morrison <gcmorrison@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:18:39 +0000
To: site-comments@w3.org
To Whom it May Concern:

Why are URLs only limited to alphanumeric characters? I wish we could
use punctuation marks in URLS. For instance it would be cool to go to
boom!com...I think the exclamation mark makes the whole URL more
exciting. Also, you could have ASCII URLS like (>'-')>.com or
[:|].com. Do you have a family? i'm sure your children would love to
visit sites like that. I know I would. Punctuation marks would richen
the online experience. If your organization's top minds applied their
energy towards this task, it could be rapidly implemented..

Please direct this email to whoever approved the use of Chinese
characters and other symbols in URLs...I think this is an issue of
grave importance and I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Graham Morrison