WG Home pages UX and Users credentials

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:21:07 -0400
To: site-comments@w3.org
W3C communications Team,

The W3C WG Home pages have greatly improved in the last few years. Congratulations.
There is a possible source of frustration for common users of W3C Web sites, specifically in time where the information is broadcasted to communities lightly related to W3C core participants.

I was reaching the "Points of Interest (POI) Working Group" home page [1] with a browser without any cookies and W3C account set this morning.

=================================
1. Click on "participants" link [2]
2. A modal window is popping-up with login/access
3. If click "Cancel", we receive a page with the following information

	"Sorry, Password Required
	An account (with a password) is required to view the page that you requested.
	If you don't have one, request a new account.
	If you have an account but forgot your password, recover your password.
	In case of trouble with any W3C Web account, please send an email to member-access@w3.org.

	If you still have a question, please consult the Webmaster FAQ or to find the information you are looking for please start on the W3C Home page or the W3C search page."
=================================

This page is a bit dry in terms of design and doesn't really address the issue. Requesting an account will not necessary give access to a Member confidential page.

# Suggestions: different types of UX scenario (not all inclusive)

* Remove the display of Participants from people who do not have the credentials for viewing it.
* Show the Participants link but with [Member only] when you do not have Members/Staff credentials. (It will imply a cookie) and just the link when you have the right credentials
* Create a better design of the error page. Maybe something which is custom depending on the type of interactions you got. We know people are coming from a specific URI containing "dbwg". It is then possible to explain why you need an account and who can get an account for accessing participants information.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/POI/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=45386

Thanks :)

ps: not urgent.