Validator problem?

From: Dennis Coyle <dacoyle@dacoyle.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 18:06:45 +0000
To: site-comments@w3.org
Is there a problem with testing local files? I'm getting incorrect
errors for pages on my development server. (No character encoding, 3
errors, and 1 warning no matter what I try to test.) I know the
results aren't accurate because all of my pages do have character
encoding and the validator is also showing results for HTML 4.01
Transitional while my work is XHTML.

I get the same results if I upload a file or use "Test Local HTML" in
Firefox.

Thanks,

Dennis A. Coyle