Re: [Moderator Action] A Career Oriented Question

On 26 Jan 2010, at 7:27 AM, Najee Ali wrote:

> Dear WC3,
>
> My name is Najee Ali, and I am writing in hope that the person who
> reads this e-mail can direct me to the correct person.I have a
> career oriented question and am also in need of advice. I recently
> finished a bachelor's degree in Graphic Design and, in my job search
> since graduation, have found a lot of design jobs being in the Web
> sector. Therefore, I have been trying to figure out the best way to
> bolster my web credentials. My understanding is that there are a
> number of certificates a person can earn to show their skill and
> knowledge. My goal is to prove to people that I can develop their
> sites from the ground up, I want to show that I can not only design
> the look of their site, but code it as well.
>
> With that said, I come to my questions: Are such certificates worth
> earning, and if so, what ones are best to look into? Also, what
> texts would be good study material in preparation for the
> certification exams?
>
> I appreciate the time you've taken to review my e-mail and hope that
> I can directed to the right person for my questions.

Hello Najee,

Thank you for writing to us. Let me say up front that I agree that
having some metrics available to understand that someone is a
qualified "Web professional" would be useful. Right now W3C doesn't
offer any certification programs (nor do we "bless" other programs).
We do have some ways to help people recognize standards compliance
that don't rely on certification, such as page validation.

You might have a look at our current Incubator Group "OWEA" (the Open
Web Education Alliance Incubator Group), which is gathering some
materials that sound like they might interest you:
  http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Main_Page

I can't offer advice on any specific programs, but hope this resource
is useful.

  _ Ian