Re: Summarizing the "font-size" issue to make an informed choice

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:57:48 -0500
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, w3c help <site-comments@w3.org>
At 8:51 PM -0600 1/12/10, Ian Jacobs wrote:

>I'd like to make an informed choice by understanding the various
>considerations. Corrections and additions welcome.

    In my opinion, you've fairly well summarized the situation and the
choice.  I have one semi-small problem, and that's with the W3C's QA
font-size page.  For example, it starts out:

"The problem here is a basic usability and accessibility issue: a
good design should look good without requiring the user to enlarge or
reduce the text size."

    That is quite literally impossible to assure in all cases, for the
reasons you summarized in your mail.  The only way to make that
happen is to get every last browser to include a required "set your
preferred font size" dialog when the browser is first launched, and
then wait 15 years for all the pre-dialog browser installs to die out.
    But that one's not your fault and my bringing it up shouldn't be
construed as an objection to your summary.  As I say, you've captured
both the situation and the choice you face quite well.  Good luck.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/