Re: W3C site redesign accessibility review

On 3 Sep 2009, at 15:19, Shawn Henry wrote:
> W3C is redesigning our website and the redesign team recently posted
> an updated beta version at:
>  http://beta.w3.org

Having a skip to content link *after* the top and left navigation
seems pretty useless.

I found the text starting "The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an
international community that develops standards to…" uncomfortable to
real. Possibly too small / low contrast.

I don't see a lang attribute when the content switches to Chinese (for
an event name)… and linking to an English document with Chinese link
text in the middle of another English document feels weird.

The links to Twitter and Identica are both images, with white
backgrounds on a white background. The default link border has been
removed with CSS. It is not clear that they are separate links.

The design of the Permalink icon suggests that the link will open in a
new window.

The term "Permalink" is jargon and should be avoided.

transient on the current URI (e.g. when showing the most recent
entries from a blog). The left navigation should not be transient.
Also, all but the first news item is just a plain link with no
following content, so shouldn't be marked as permalinks.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk