Re: Internet Porn

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:06:21 -0500
To: Tom <siggma@trbailey.net>
Cc: site-comments@w3.org

On 20 Oct 2009, at 3:11 AM, Tom wrote:

> I'm not sure where to direct this suggestion.
> There are numerous petitions floating around the internet regarding
> ways to isolate adult or pornographic content from non pornographic
> contents. Most aim to modify the existing singular domain name
> resolution system to include some kind of porn domain identifier.
> Since domain names themselves could be considered "pornographic",
> such a solution would not isolate the intended content, it would
> only tag it making it no better than current isolation techniques.
> My suggestion is that the W3C begin work on specifications for a
> completely isolated DNS network replete with a "Porno" netmask
> ( intended specifically for pornographic materials.
> The "Porn" net would be a non-default set of DNS servers requiring
> voluntary configuration and would require that a person deliberately
> add a unique DNS server to their network configuration to even
> access the "Adult" portion of the internet. This would allow Adult
> materials to exist without restriction yet not interfere with normal
> web browsing. It would also relieve public servers of the task of
> constantly screening web contents.
> Where do I go from here?
> --

Hello Tom,

Tim Berners-Lee has written about this topic:

W3C has been working on tools to help people annotate content (rather
than manage this at the DNS level).
I do not think W3C would be an appropriate forum for a DNS-related
approach to managing content.

  _ Ian Jacobs, Head of W3C Communications