Tiny usability issue

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:01:27 +0100
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
CC: site-comments@w3.org
Ian,

here is a scenario I had many times and it turns out to be a bit
irritating.

- I go to /TR page
- I find the tab for what I am looking for (say SVG tiny), click on it,
it gets unravelled to give the details
- I click, say, to the link of mobile svg profiles rec (of 2003),
- Getting to the page I realize that I used the wrong link (this was not
the latest rec)
- I hit 'back'
- I get back to the /TR page but I have to click on the svg Tiny tab
again because I do not find the previous status back (the page does not
remember that a particular tab has been opened).

I am not sure what the best way to solve this issue is, whether (eg, via
a cookie) the browser can remember what the previous state was. An easy
alternative is that all links automatically open up in a new tab/window
in the browser (which, I understand, may be a pain for a mobile...)

Just my thoughts...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153