Re: new-site comments - left column space

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:55:18 -0500
To: "Barclay, Daniel" <daniel@fgm.com>
Cc: <site-comments@w3.org>

On 31 Mar 2009, at 4:48 PM, Barclay, Daniel wrote:

> Regarding the page http://beta.w3.org/, etc.

Hello again!
> The left navigation column also takes up too much space at narrower
> windows widths.
> In the attached screen shot, see how large a fraction of the width
> of the
> page and browser display pane is taken by the left navigation column.
> At least make the width proportional to the page or viewport width
> so that
> it doesn't take up a larger fraction of the horizontal space in
> windows that
> are tall rather than wide.

One concern about the proportional spacing was that the left navigation
area itself would become unusable at narrow widths.

Note, by the way, that the mobile view may provide a slightly
better experience for very narrow viewports.
> Also, notice how, once the user scrolls down below the extent of the
> left-
> column content (e.g., to read the main-column content), the columns'
> horizontal
> space is entirely wasted, for the entire height of the browser pane.

Yes. One goal in the redesign has been to keep redesigned pages short
so that this is not too much of a problem. Also, there are suggestions
that a narrower page width may make it easier to read content.
> Ideally, make the left navigation column into a float (or move it to
> something
> at the top (e.g., such as a good (wrappable) form of tabs), so that
> that
> the left-side space in the browser pane can be used to display part
> of the main
> content once the user has scrolled down beyond the extent of the
> left-column
> navigation content.
See above comment.

We'll add this suggestion to the hopper. Thanks!

  _ Ian