Re: new-site comments - wasted space at top

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:49:00 -0500
To: "Barclay, Daniel" <daniel@fgm.com>
Cc: <site-comments@w3.org>

On 31 Mar 2009, at 4:42 PM, Barclay, Daniel wrote:

> Regarding the pages at http://beta.w3.org/, etc.:
>

> The new design wastes significant amounts of screen space.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sending the screen shot (which helps a lot).

> In the attached screen shot, notice how much empty space there is at
> the top
> of the page.  In particular, there is considerably more vertical
> distance above
> and below the "STANDARDS," "PARTICIPATE," etc., links than there
> needs to be
> (and, of course, that vertical space is wasted all the way across
> the page and
> display pane).

At very narrow widths, the top navigation menus stack, which increases
the height of the top section.

I can look into reducing the space a bit, but one of the goals of the
design
was that the top of the page be "airy."

I appreciate the comments and welcome additional suggestions (and
proposed
solutions!).

  _ Ian