Re: w3.org code

On 2 Dec 2009, at 3:00 PM, Administrator wrote:

> Dear webmaster,
> I would like you to consider changing your cource code. I mean that
> the website is sent as application/xhtml+xml, but it is written in
> XHTML 1.0 with some HTML-like practices, like adding space char
> before closind empty elements: '<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />', the MIME type is
> characterisitc for HTML, the processing instruction is missing.
> Moreover, The http://www.w3.org/Consortium/ site is sent as text/
> html, but this time the processing instruction is missing. I do not
> question your messgage, but as the XHTML webmaster, I often meet
> people who do not follow standards not knowing that this behaviour
> increases websites creating costs, internet connection usage and
> promote invalid code. We all know that it is necessary to throw
> Internet Explorer on the scrap heap, because it is totally standards
> non-compliant, do not know how to display any of XHTML documents and
> not existing tags, like marquee.
>
> My point is that I would appreciate if the w3.org website would be
> improved to be compliant the newest standards and be a brilliant
> example how to create websited to beginning webmasters.

Hi Kamil,

Recently on this list [1] someone pointed me to the XHTML
compatibility guidelines:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#compatGuidelines

The recommendation there (in short) is "don't include the xml
declaration" if you want increased compatibility across browsers. I
believe the XML declaration is necessary when you plan to serve
content using a character encoding other than UTF-8 (and maybe
others). But since we use UTF-8 (configured in the server), we can
drop the xml declaration.

When we launched the site we included the xml declaration. Although we
had not received reports of cross-browser compatibility related to the
xml declaration (as far as I know), I decided to remove the
declaration to be consistent with these guidelines. (That caused our
CSS to break for IE6, but we've fixed that since then, I believe.)

I have not yet removed the xml declaration from all the new pages.
I've only removed it from the ones that we generate (including the
home page). I expect to remove the xml declaration from more pages in
the near future.

  _ Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/site-comments/2009Nov/0019.html