Re: [site-comments] <none>

On 6 Dec 2009, at 2:50 AM, Gregg Hasenjaeger wrote:

> Hello
>

>         I am a web development student and your site is becoming
> very discouraging to me. I'm beginning to think I am going to need a
> 12 year degree to do web development. I have been going to school
> for eleven months now and in that time your site has gone from
> nearly impossible to understand and navigate to "which college
> degree do I need to find the information I need".
> I went to validate a code I wrote for a PHP class I'm taking and was
> told the DTD I had used was not allowed. <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//
> W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 STRICT//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD
> xhtml1-strict.dtd">
> of a class book which is published for an educational system. That's
> pretty bad when a classroom text can't even keep up with the
> standards. I went to look up the DTD standards which when I first
> came to your site were printed out for viewing, now I have to open a
> file in a Visual Basic development window and read latin. Are you
> trying to make this impossible? Are you trying to get people to say
> "No way, someone else can do this." At the rate you are going that
> is going to be the result of your actions.

Hi Gregg,

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered some hurdles. I hope I can
help out.

If I understand correctly, you were using the validator on a page and
it reported that you should be using a different document type
declaration. I am assuming this is what happened since I've had that
happen to me. I am not sure when the validator started to tell me
this, but in my case the "error" went away when I followed the
validator's instructions.
I think I updated the system identifier ("http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD
  xhtml1-strict.dtd") and then the page passed the validator.

If changing the system identifier doesn't work, let me know. Also, I
can have a look at the page you're trying to validate. You may wish to
send me a URI offlist, however.

  _ Ian