Should :active style only apply to links?

From: Brian Nixon <nixonb@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:15:20 +0000
To: site-comments@w3.org
Should the :active style only really apply to links ( la CSS1)?  It
looks odd when text that isn't a link changes appearance when you
click the mouse on it.

I'm no CSS expert, but it looks like this was the behaviour with CSS1,
and with 2.1 you would need to change the 'a:active' selectors in the
site style sheets to 'a[href]:active' to achieve the same effect.  But
I'm guessing that not all UAs support that notation?