RE: compression of HTML would save a lot of money

Hi Markus,

It's not just IE, there are plenty others with issues, but that's not the real problem.

Think global.

In one fell swoop, the W3C could block access to its vast Web resources to many thousands (if not millions) of users in under-developed and developing countries, many of whom would lack the IT resources to understand and compensate for the change. So what if they are a mere 1%, or 0.1% or whatever? The W3C is in a unique position; its mission to lead the Web to its full potential needs to be as inclusive as possible, especially to those who are less fortunate.

Don't get me wrong, I am not objecting to the use of compression per se, just its blanket application.

I propose an alternative strategy:

1. Do not compress the home page (and include a link to a non-compressed page that explains the gzip decision and explains a means of reporting problems that have resulted from the introduction of gzip).

2. If the HTTP request does not indicate gzip support then obviously don't gzip the response.

3. If the UA header matches a pattern of known "fully gzip supporting" browsers, then gzip the response.

This is an "opt in" strategy. It is perhaps the safest approach. At the very start, no browsers will receive gzip responses, which is what we have today. As browsers are identified that fully support gzip, and which can be detected from evidence in the HTTP request, then more and more of the Web users will receive gzip responses. Obviously we could address a sizeable portion of the community with just a handful of the latest browsers, and that may be enough to get the traffic/cost benefits that gzip could offer.

Originally I thought of possibly using an "opt out" approach, where "problem" browsers would be singled out for uncompressed responses, but the initial negative effect on the Web community might cause unnecessary problems and tarnish the good reputation of the consortium.

---Rotan.