From: Ian Jacobs [mailto:ij@w3.org]
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:40 AM
To: Alexander Savenkov
Cc: site-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: The Redesign Feedback

On 20 Mar 2009, at 6:40 PM, Alexander Savenkov wrote:

> Ian, everyone, congratulations on the redesign!

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for the feedback (and support). I've just started processing
beta comments that
we've received.

> Obviously, an enormous amount of work has been done and even more
> work is ahead. Please find some comments below:
>
> Did you find the new technical report style an improvement?:
> Yes
>
> Did you find the site, overall, easier to navigate?:
> Definitely, providing that the majority of the pages are migrated
> into the new design.
>
> What do you think we can do to improve it? Feel free to mention easy
> improvements and also larger-scale projects (even if we can't get to
> them today).
>                 First of all, as a (former) translator of the W3C
> documents, I miss connection to the specification translations. I
> suggest that in specifications where you list such things as "Is
> this document a Web standard?" and "Is this the latest draft of this
> specification?" another line is added, i.e. "Is there a translation
> of this document?" with "No, not yet" and "Yes, please browse
> through the <a href="somepage.html">list of available translations</
> a>"

The translations are, in fact, linked from the right hand column of
the tech reports. As an example:
   http://beta.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-xhtml-modularization-20090303/

In the right hand side you'll find: "translations" which links to:

http://www.w3.org/2003/03/Translations/byTechnology?technology=xhtml-modular
ization

Right now you'll get an intervening page since the translations pages
are not (yet) under the beta. But
when we deploy, that link will take you directly to the translations
for that document.

Is this what you had in mind.

>                 Secondly, the shadow effect on the left (e.g., main
> page) looks really cheap if you ask me. There are no shadows on the
> other parts of site, it might be worth removing this rudiment.

Ok, noting that as part of a set of comments.

> Good luck with the rest of the redesign!

Thanks!

  _ Ian