Re: Suggestion

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:45:29 -0400
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: Ralf Wastl <ralf.wastl@gmx.de>, site-comments@w3.org

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:19:46PM -0500, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 11:58 -0500, Ralf Wastl wrote:
>> Hello W3C team,
>>
>> I see the need for an XPATH and XSLT primer.

Thank you for writing (and thanks, Ian, for adding me to the reply).

>> In version 2.0 the complexity of both technologies has increased
>> substantially. The tech reports (XPATH 2.0 and XSLT 2.0) are now
>> rather unreadable to the non-expert.

There are good and bad sides to having a primer.  It can mean that
the Working Group is not under pressure to write clear text.  But
writing a primer "after the fact" may be a good idea.

For XPath 2 and XQuery 1, the main editor tried to include introductory
text in each section that I think is very helpful, and it might be
worth trying to read those introductions first and then going back
to read the details of individual sections.  I fear that the hardest
part is that there are so many different specifications you have to
read, and we should certainly publish a reader's guide to suggest
how they fit together.

I'd like to see us have more introductory texts and examples, but we
are very pressed for staff resources.

I second Ian's recommendation of the books by Mike Kay, although
they are not as introductory as a primer might be.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/