Re: [Moderator Action] meta http-equiv form variants on your site

On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 23:48 +0000, Nick Levinson wrote:

> The following, which appear on your website and seem
> to be a model for various other websites, vary:

> content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />
> charset=utf-8"/>
> content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
> charset=UTF-8">
> charset=utf-8"/>
>
> The content values differ by 1 space, the charset
> value is variously capitalized, and the http-equiv
> value is variously capitalized. Assuming we apply the
> convention that all should end in
> space-slash-closing-angle-bracket, are all of these
> correct?

Hi Nick,

The HTML 4 specification does not define a normative set of values
for the meta/http-equiv and meta/content (see the attribute definitions
[1]). Thus, the HTML 4 specification would not have any say over
case-sensitivity of values or spacing.

http-equiv is meant to provide some information to servers [2]:

 "HTTP servers use this attribute to gather information for HTTP
  response message headers."

Thus, I believe that it is up to each server to decide when and how to
manage these hints provided by the author. I do not have any data handy
on how various servers interpret these meta elements.

My guess is that servers would _benefit_ by being very permissive as
far as the case of attribute values and internal spacing.

Here's one example from apache [3] regarding the AddType directive:

  "The extension argument is case-insensitive, and can be specified with
or without a leading dot."

That doesn't address the question of how the <meta> element in an HTML
file gets converted into the content type in a server response, nor does
it state that media types themselves are case-insensitive, but it does
show that the server documentation may well be the place to look for
this sort of information.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-META
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-http-equiv