Broken link (category: char sets)

From: Richard Shewmaker <richard@astrophos.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:32:40 -0500
To: site-comments@w3.org

The link ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets from
the page http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/references.html#ref-CHARSETS is
pointing to a directory which no longer exists ("500 No such directory.)

I browsed from the root to /assignments/ and found a README
(ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/README) which
explained that:

"At one time the RFC Editor and the IANA were one person, Jon Postel, so
IANA registration information was maintained in this directory. The IANA
is now a separate organization, and its databases may be found at
http://www.iana.org."

I believe the page/document in question is now at:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

but not having seen the original it's only a guess.