CSS question

From: John Lawler <jlawler@travidia.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:57:18 -0600
To: <site-comments@w3.org>
K - not sure if this is the right way to address my question - is there
a forum dedicated to W3C?

I was just wondering, the spec page does not specify that the <style>
element is REQUIRED to be in the <head> element, and I have had it work
within the <body> tag, but would avoid doing so if it goes against the
actual spec. Could you please clarify this for me? I would very much
appreciate it, thank you.

The HTML 4 specification defines how style sheet rules may be specified
for HTML documents: either within the HTML document, or via an external
style sheet. To put the style sheet into the document, use the STYLE
element:

<HTML>
  <HEAD>
  <TITLE>Bach's home page</TITLE>
  <STYLE type="text/css">
    h1 { color: red }
  </STYLE>
  </HEAD>
  <BODY>
    <H1>Bach's home page</H1>
    <P>Johann Sebastian Bach was a prolific composer.
  </BODY>
</HTML>

John Lawler

Creative Developer