access keys

From: Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:49:01 -0600
To: site-comments@w3.org

Hi,

I'm just learning HTML, and I'm curious about how best to use access
keys. I notice you use them fairly extensively on your website, but
without any explanation. I'm using Firefox on a Debian box, and when I
tried to access my bookmarks folder while viewing your site, using the
alt-B shortcut, I was redirected to an "about W3C" page. On another page
I discovered that alt-F wouldn't open my File menu, as it was assigned
to a form field.

Is there any standard way to inform users that you are using an access
key? I understand that they are a very useful tool, but including them
in a page without letting people know becomes more of an inconvenience.
Any clarification you can give would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Tyler