Re: The W3C Technology Stack

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 08:43 -0400, Art.Barstow@nokia.com wrote:
> Why is the "Mobile Web" depicted as a vertical
> technology silo in the W3C Technology Stack in
> [1]?
>
> Please see Nokia's position paper for the W3C's
> November 2004 Mobile Web Initiative Workshop [2]
> for an alternative positioning of the Mobile Web -
> where the Mobile Web is a horizontal function and
> not a vertical technology silo.

Hi Art,

We discussed your suggestion in the Comm Team. While there
is general agreement with you that Mobile Web affects various
parts of W3C work, we prefer to to leave Mobile Web in the
diagram as a vertical rather than horizontal activity.
The two primary reasons are:

 * We would like to give additional visibility to Mobile
   Web at this time.

 * The MWI groups are not chartered with the same expectation
   of horizontal review as other horizontal groups. Naturally,
   some cross-group review is expected, but I do not believe
   the commitment is at the same level as say, within WAI.

We review this sort of diagram periodically and may very well
adopt your suggestion in a future version. Thank you for the
input.

Best,

 - Ian

> [1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/technology.html#techstack
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2004/10/MWIWS-papers/MWI-Nokia-Position-2004-10-15.pdf
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447